Job Title: Risk Manager
Key Relationships: Commercial Manager, Trading Team, Operations Manager, Accounts and Finance Team
Reports To: Chief Executive Officer
Reference Number: LT/WF/RM
Main Purpose of the Job
Responsible for monitoring and managing the risk associated with crude and other product trading activities. Also responsible for providing risk control analysis for global and regional activities sitting alongside commercial traders and advising daily on risk positions, value and potential exposure.
Main duties and accountabilities
• Develop risk identification model & portfolio assumptions and market inputs, pricing issues, valuation parameters, and instrument types for the Energy sector.
• Develop operational risk policies and standards for risk management for new business activities, including but not exclusive to New Product/ Deal / New Commercial Activities.
• Monitor operational risk indicators.
• Assess the risks associated with structured deals and the valuation models used for physical/financial trading and hedging.
• Execute daily risk control processes and risk reports; working alongside trading to manage market and operational risk.
• Ensure daily data integrity, validate positions, and reconcile data inconsistencies with responsible traders.
• Ensure exchange and regulatory compliance.
• Develop strong relationship with key stakeholders and business partners by addressing issues/concerns in timely manner.
• Act as a company point of reference for all activities related to Integrated Risk management guaranteeing full coordination with relevant stakeholders and the company’s Energy functions.
• Monitor daily validation activities, making sure all physical crudes & products (all physical and financial) transactions are duly and timely captured and validated accordingly to the company procedures.
• Guarantee daily validation activities of relevant price information (spot/forward) are managed timely and accurately by the relevant team.
• Provide the cash flows report to enable management make decisions on borrowing capacity and debt service coverage.
• Advise on the financial impact and risk exposure of new strategies, activities or transactions.
• Advise on project financial modelling, risk analysis, valuation and pricing to assist management in making strategic investment decisions.
• Interface with finance, trading and other respective departments to provide information related to transactions, valuations and credit exposures while monitoring and reviewing trading documentation.
• Ensure all trading activities remain within mandated exposure and risk limits.
• Guarantee that relevant methodologies are fully developed to manage daily market conformity controls to monitor both physical and financial oil transactions;
• Ensure full compliance with all internal and external regulation.
• Ensure all internal & external audit requests/issues are promptly addressed.
• Carrying out other tasks when assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree in Economics, Finance, Mathematics, Engineering or other quantitative field required.
• An advanced degree, such as a Master’s, MBA, or CFA in Energy or Financial Risk Management is preferred.
Knowledge & Experience:
• Minimum of 3 – 5 years’ experience in energy trading, financial or energy risk management.
• Good front-line ability, to represent company and train and develop others to represent company to our key accounts.
• Relevant senior experience within a Trade Control, Compliance Operational Risk and Market Risk environment in an oil trading company or Risk Consulting company.
• Advanced knowledge of risk metrics and internal control systems applicable for oil physical and financial transactions.
• Strong and solid knowledge of Microsoft Office suite including excellent Excel skills.
• Strong academic credentials with a numeracy-oriented specialization, preferably Finance or quantitative discipline.
• Understanding of the commodities markets, preferably physical crude & products markets.
• Ability to handle private, sensitive, confidential information appropriately.
• Highly organised.
• Good attention to detail.
• Ability to work with tight deadlines.
• Ability to build and nurture effective relationships internally and externally.
• Results-oriented approach.
• Team player.
• Good oral and written communication skills
• Be highly numerate with good analytical capacities.
• Physically fit to undertake tasks
• Ability to work long hours