Job Title: Plant Engineer
Location: Spintex, Accra, Ghana
Reporting to: General Manager
Job Reference: LT/QPGH/PE
The Plant Engineer in partnership with the Production Manager will plan, budget, and implement projects from beginning to end for the establishment of production facilities and improvement of packaging and production lines. This individual will assist the General Manager and Production Manager establish their capital budgets and facilitate all engineering resources as necessary.
• Responsibility for engineering function, continuous improvement, energy and utility management.
• Provides a safe, secure and productive work environment for shop ﬂoor employees.
• Manages all plant establishment and maintenance of equipment sites and contractors in accordance all industry guidelines.
• Pro-actively lead collaboration with cross-functional partners to develop margin improvement and technical innovation opportunities
• Develop and implement packaging development procedures (new development, improvements, and tests)
• Conduct and/or manage experiments, trials, and analyses to validate and advance technical packaging opportunities both internal and at external suppliers
• Partner with Procurement to source, obtain quotes, and negotiate per desired speciﬁcations (evaluate submissions with team and management for approval)
• Support capital project teams in speciﬁcation, selection, design, implementation and training for new packaging equipment
• Communicate status and issues regarding project activity on a continual basis
• Responsible in partnership with Production Manager for technical speciﬁcations, quality standards and component release
• Approve production samples and production drawings
• Work with R&D and Food Safety/Quality to identify appropriate package performance requirements
• Develop and maintain strong relationships with existing and new suppliers
• Build and leverage depth of knowledge in packaging equipment and materials including the impact on food safety
• Provide technical support to cross-functional teams and be the subject matter expert for new packaging elements
• Directs and executes the industrial engineering requirements for, evaluating processes, determining the best process to achieve objective, and implementing changes that improve the QPGH’s bottom-line through optimum labour, reduced waste, and improved quality.
• Produces and provides projects that are on time and on budget through good Engineering and Industrial Engineering practices that will increase productivity, yield, and quality, while reducing cost of production.
• Selects and trains a strong and motivated technical resource sta ﬀ to support the operations in the mechanical, electrical, industrial, and process engineering e ﬀ orts.
• Works with project managers, construction managers, construction superintendents, etc. in proper project management techniques.
Education and Training
• BSc Degree, in Mechanical, Electrical, Agricultural, Civil or Structural Engineering or related discipline.
• Packaging Engineering preferred – or equivalent technical degree
• Must have adequate computer skills with AutoCAD and Microsoft Oﬃce.
Knowledge and Experience
• At least 5 years of relevant packaging experience, preferably in food manufacturing or general manufacturing.
• Technical experience in construction, refrigeration, project management, and equipment layout.
• Packaging materials knowledge
• Familiarity with Continuous Improvement tools and processes
• Experience in plant operations and industrial environments understanding equipment design and impacts to materials, labor, and work processes
• Proven track record in problem-solving, negotiating, managing people, and establishing and meeting schedules is required.
Skills and Abilities
• High level of operational leadership skills, organisational planning, teamwork, analytical reasoning, and adaptability.
• Strong mechanical aptitude
• Possess advanced technical skills in the mechanical/electrical ﬁelds (e.g. PLCs, instrumentation, mechanical engineering, etc.) and is able to lead resource planning e ﬀ orts in a large manufacturing environment.
• Thorough knowledge of maintenance systems, work order process, preventive/predictive maintenance, TPM, etc.
• Ability to use exposure monitoring equipment, interpret and communicate results.
• Ability to work well with others in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
• Ability to be respectful, approachable and team-oriented while building strong working relationships and a positive work environment.
• Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Oﬃce Suite, especially Excel and Word.
• Capable of communicating and expressing ideas clearly and concisely, in both written and oral formats.
• Strong critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
• Strong interpersonal, technical and presentation skills required.
• May be required to work long hours and weekends.
1. Remuneration details for each job will be provided to shortlisted candidates only
2. CVs and application letters must be emailed to Sheena at
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com by the 20th January 2020.
3. Job Title and Job Reference must be stated on the application letter